Golf has been played in Turkey since 1895. Despite its long history, it has remained a small group of golfers. The golf course in Istanbul has been relocated twice. Then it went down from 18 pits to 9 pits. It has continued to exist as a common sport on the grounds of the Military Academies until today. Today, Istanbul Golf Club continues to exist as a natural park in the middle of Istanbul as a sports club in contemporary norms.
Golf entered Turkey with the establishment of the Istanbul Club in 1895. The 12-hole field of this club was in Okmeydanı until the end of 1914. Meanwhile, Boğaziçi Golf Club, which was established near Bebek in 1911, continued to exist until 1923. Istanbul Golf Club opened a new course in Maslak, Turkey in 1920. In 1922, the clubhouse was built, increasing the number of holes to 18.
Istanbul Golf Club was registered by the General Directorate of Physical Education in 1952 and joined the Turkish Tennis Federation. Operating under the name of Istanbul Golf Sports Specialization Club and being one of the oldest clubs in the world; the club hosts various tournaments today.
During the Republic period, there was no big change in terms of golf sport. Istanbul Golf Club had to relocate twice and was reduced from 18 to 9 holes. Ankara Golf Club was built in 1949. The structuring in sports developed in parallel with Europe in those years.
With the support of experts and close circle around Antalya, the projects that led to the start of Golf Tourism were started today. Thus, Antalya Belek region has gained the feature of being the center of golf.